17 May 2009

Rappers, known your basketball trivia

Newly blog-wielding friend, Miss Mezzano, recently put up the almost decade old(!) "Summer Girls" music video from late '90s boy band, LFO (or as their wikipedia calls them, Lyte Funky Ones. I know...) Even in 1999, that song was one of the most baffling chart hits. How else could anyone explain an upper-class white boy rapping non-sequiturs about girls, Abercrombie & Fitch, the summer, chinese food, girls in the summer, etc.?

It's interesting that after ten years of trying to repress this song from ever popping in my head randomly, the first lyric that really slapped me in the face reminded me of one of more rant-worthy snippets of recent upper-class white rapper Asher Roth.

Compare if you will:

  • "[With reggae inflection] I am champ-ee-on / at beer pong / Allen Iverson / Hakeem Olajuwon"
  • "You're the best girl that I ever did see / the great Larry Bird / jersey 33"
Let this be a lesson to gimmicky rappers looking for a way to complete their rhyme scheme - know you're basketball trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment