08 February 2009

All Consuming / No Creating

While I try to write a commentary marking the one-year anniversary of the shooting at my alma mater for the 15th or 16th times, here are some things I've found pleasantly distracting:

  • Looks like I beat Salon.com's Robert Lanham to a commentary on the "25 Random Things" craze on Facebook. However, he's more eloquent than me, describing how cynical and annoyed he was by the trend at first, but eventually warming up to it. 
I didn't join Facebook, after all, to be anonymous, incurious or left alone. Link
Slate.com is also looking for the origin this trend.
  • Lily Allen's new album, It's Not Me, It's You is pretty fabulous. For now, it can be heard in its entirety on her myspace.
  • ESPN's Rick Reilly says being a "fan" watching Bruce Springsteen on the field of the Super Bowl is one of the worst jobs in all of sports. Link.
  • Friday night, instead of playing the scheduled "Ghost of Bobby Dunbar" episode of This American Life, technical difficulties caused Chicago Public Radio to switch to the more delightful, "Godless America" episode. Act 2 is priceless
  • Coming up with themed double features. Watching Frost/Nixon makes me want to watch Good Night, and Good Luck with a room of Journalism students. Earlier I recommended my friend rent Hitchcock's Notorious and Y Tu Mama Tabien for a sexually explicit (That's what they said about Notorious. Go figure.) night of scandal.
  • Trying to read The Great Gatsby, but getting distracted by Garfield Minus Garfield and Hellboy.
  • Updating this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment