05 February 2009

Making the Facebook 25 (26) an even 30


This is old news for those who come to this blog via my facebook page, but for my group of friends, a chain-letter-type note has been sweeping through the social networking site like wildfire. First, one person makes a random list of 25 things about themselves, and I can't emphasize the random aspect of those things. They can range from interests, obscure likes and dislikes, childhood memories, dreams of the future, opinions or the lack thereof. Then the person tags 25 of their friends, asking them to post their own list of 25 random things.

Not since I was in middle school, just learning how to use (and in some cases, avoid) email and chat rooms has a chain-letter so swept up my friends. And I can't say enough how much I approve of this trend. Reading some of my friend's more hilarious tales of childhood embarrassment and quirky, illogical dislikes has been a real treat. Because it's so open ended, people have let lose and pulled out some really good stuff. 

But since most of my friends who are swayed my peer pressure have already posted their list, it seems that this era of sharing is coming to a close. And since I like writing about myself too much, here are some more list-worthy facts that came to me after I initially posted it.

27. I've become two post-college cliches recently. First, I saw an old video of myself performing in high school, and all I could think of was how big and long and stupid my hair looked. This was before I had a beard too. The second post-college cliche is now I'm self-conscious about my weight and waistline. In college? I could eat a whole pizza every week. Now I'm trying to cut soda out of my diet (again) and exercise. And it's not fun.

28. I can relate almost anything - anything - to a quote from The Simpsons or Mystery Science Theater 3000.

29. Speaking of MST3k, sometimes I like to throw in obscure references to a conversation, just to see if anyone picks up on it. For example; when I worked at my college newspaper, and someone who continuously criticize a co-worker, I'd say, "He's like the Snowball on our Animal Farm." It was so satisfying when a couple of my colleagues looked at me with that, "Did you just say what I thought you said?" look that said they got it immediately.

30. From my little brother: "[Andy] is so indecisive, he has to flip a coin." It's true, but only for superfluous decisions, like coke or sprite with dinner. "...Since he is an English major, the hard part is finding a coin to flip." Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment