12 January 2009

Nothing goes right with my NFL picks...


I shouldn't care about these kinds of things. I'm not really the biggest follower of professional football. Sure, I watch when the playoffs start, but when I watch the regular season, it's not like I regularly swearing allegiance to a single team. Sure, the Bears play their home games in the closest metropolitan area to my place of residence, but it's not like they are all born and bred Chicagoans. Besides, my family are Packers fans... for some reason.

But since both of those teams have done their part to miss the fabled post-season, I've tried rooting for a few other teams, sure that at least one of them will make the Super Bowl. First there's the Indianapolis Colts, with the Associated Press's NFL MVP and Oreo spokesman, Peyton Manning - beaten in overtime by the San Diego Chargers.

Then there are the Tennessee Titans, the surprise/Cinderella story of the season. Those kinds of teams should always get to play in the Super Bowl. Oh, guess not. Baltimore beat them by a field goal.

Finally there's the New York Giants, with fellow Oreo spokesman Eli Manning. Sure, they were pretty much on top of the standings all year, a factor which usually would have me rooting against them. But they beat the Patriots last year, and that still counts for something right? Another Super Bowl ring to prove it wasn't a fluke is totally acceptable. Yeah, try telling that to Philly yesterday. If the Mannings choke on their double-stuffed race with the Williams sisters, they just might be dead to me.

So now I don't know if who to quietly root for, since it clearly hasn't helped the other three teams. I guess Arizona is the Cinderella story now... and The Wire took place in Baltimore ... so I guess I'm subconsciously rooting for them. You know what that means; Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. Oh hey, that'd actually be kind of cool... 

No comments:

Post a Comment